FIND THE BEST PET HEALTH INSURANCE
An increasing number of pet owners are purchasing MEDICAL INSURANCE for their pets. According to the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA), there are approximately 20 companies that insure over 2.5 million pets in the United States.
According to the NAPHIA State of the Industry Report 2020:
- Total number of pets insured in 2019 was 2,517,122.
- 83% of insured pets were dogs AND 17% were for cats.
- The average accident and illness premium for dogs was $585.40 per year AND $349.93 for cats.
PET INSURANCE PROVIDERS
- AKC Pet Insurance
- American Modern Pet Insurance
- ASPCA Pet Health Insurance
- Bivvy Pet Insurance
- Companion Protect
- Embrace Pet Insurance
- FIGO Pet Insurance
- Hartville Pet Health Insurance
- Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
- Lemonade Pet Insurance
- PetFirst Pet Insurance
- Pets Best
- Prudent Pet Insurance
- Pumpkin Pet Insurance
- Spot Pet Insurance
- Toto Pet Insurance
According to CONSUMER REPORTS (Should You Buy Pet Insurance?) the LARGEST pet insurance providers, which have about 84 percent of the pet insurance market in the U.S., are Nationwide, Trupanion, Petplan, and the ASPCA.
According to TODD NEMET, President of CARE for Pets™:
“Which Pet Insurance company you choose to protect your pet is very important. Over the last couple of years there have been many changes within the pet health insurance industry including some of the SMALLER insurance companies being acquired by a competing provider. In addition, many new providers (no track record on annual premium increases) have entered the pet insurance marketplace with very competitive premium prices. As they begin to pay claims, there annual premiums may SUBSTANTIALLY increase. Insurance companies do NOT cover PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS. If you decide to CHANGE PROVIDERS, your pets PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS may not be covered.”
- PetInsuranceQuotes.com – Petco Acquires Pet Health Insurance Marketplace (3.8.18)
Compare pet insurance plans and prices for both cats and dogs all in one place.
- 2015 dvm360 State of the Veterinary Profession Survey (8.21.16)
Estimated total dollar amount at which most clients would refuse or stop treatment for their pets was $1,433.
- 5 Things Your Pet Insurance Policy Should Cover (9.30.15)
Dr. Karen Becker is a Proactive and Integrative Wellness Veterinarian.
NEWS BLOG – CATEGORY: INSURANCE