PET MEDICATIONS (PRESCRIPTION AND NON-PRESCRIPTION)
A growing number of consumers are buying pet medications (prescription and non-prescription) outside the veterinary channel from competing non-veterinary retail outlets.
Pet Medication Sales in 2014
According to a recently released FTC Staff Report many consumers no longer view veterinarians as the sole source for pet medications.
- Veterinarians – 58% of sales.
- Brick-and-Mortar Retailers – 28% of sales.
- Internet/Mail Order Retailers -13% of sales.
Not all pet medications sold by online pharmacies are AUTHORIZED by veterinary pharmaceutical companies. These products may be purchased from UNAUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTORS in the secondary market. As a result, some manufacturers may not guarantee their products when purchased from an UNAUTHORIZED SELLER.
You should always check the manufacturer’s website for it’s sales policy regarding AUTHORIZED SELLERS before purchasing from an online pharmacy.
FIND THE BEST ONLINE PET PHARMACIES
When buying pet drugs online, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends consumers to “order from a web site that belongs to a Vet-VIPPS accredited pharmacy.” The Veterinary-Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (Vet-VIPPS) is an accreditation program of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). Vet-VIPPS accredited websites comply with the NABP strict criteria including federal and state licensing, inspection requirements and quality assurance.
Vet-VIPPS Accredited Sites
An accredited Vet-VIPPS pharmacy site will display the Vet-VIPPS Seal on their website. Click on the Vet-VIPPS Seal to access verified information about the pharmacy.
Powered by Meds.Pet™
The Vet-VIPPS program is scheduled to officially end on August 31, 2017 and will be incorporated into the new .Pharmacy Top-Level Domain Program which is operated by the NABP. Only legitimate Internet pharmacies are able to use the .Pharmacy domain suffix.
- California Pet Pharmacy
- CSR Company, Inc
- Diamondback Drugs
- Drs. Foster and Smith
- FarmVet.com, Inc
- Heartland Veterinary Supply & Pharmacy
- KV Supply, LLC
- National Animal Hospital
- Pet360 Pharmacy, LLC
- Pet’s Choice Pharmacy
- PetMart Pharmacy
- PetMed Express, Inc
- Revival Animal Health
- Rood & Riddle Veterinary Pharmacy, LLC
- Seminole Animal Hospital Services, LLC
- Specialty Medical Drugstore
- Valley Vet Clinic, PA dba Valley Vet
- VetCara, LLC dba VetRxDirect
- Veterinary Internet Company
- Vets First Choice
- VIP Pet Meds, Inc
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc
– Prescriptions and Pharmacies for Pet Owners (FAQ)
– Purchasing Pet Drugs Online: Buyer Beware
– Protect Yourself and Your Pet: Be A.W.A.R.E.
– Report Suspicious Online Pet Pharmacy Sites to the FDA