LAST UPDATED: December 05, 2021 (RELATED Section)
The Animal Foundation which is located in Las Vegas, Nevada, is one of the highest volume single-site animal shelters in America. The Animal Foundation is the contracted municipal shelter for the city of Las Vegas, county and North Las Vegas, taking in an average of 25,000 animals a year.
Insider after insider is coming forward to 13 Action News, claiming the shelter is putting pets in peril. 13 Chief Investigator Darcy Spears has been looking into allegations of neglect at The Animal Foundation for months, culminating in a SIX-PART INVESTIGATIVE SERIES.
PARTS 1 and 2: Pet owners seeking to reclaim lost pets at The Animal Foundation face heartache, frustration (11.22.21)
- PARTS 3 thru 6: Whistleblowers detail a shelter in crisis at The Animal Foundation (11.23.21)
- When we began investigating in June, the city provided records showing their last official inspection was in 2017. After our records request, they began scheduling monthly visits.
- City Inspections are PRE-ANNOUNCED (announced in advance) according to Liz Wade a licensed veterinary technician who quit her job at The Animal Foundation on Nov. 1. “Usually on those days it’s an all-hands-on-deck cleaning situation,” said Wade. “They’ll send out an email, ‘make sure your stations are cleaned, make sure this is deep-cleaned, make sure this is done.’ And then you’re always like, ‘oh, somebody must be coming to the shelter today.'”
Local leaders demand answers, call for audit of The Animal Foundation (12.4.21)
- Mentioned staff pay at $10.00 per hour vs CEO compensation of $240,000 plus benefits.
- The stakeholders (City of Las Vegas, Clark County, North Las Vegas) lack representation and are not part of the board of directors.
- Consider hiring a third party to conduct an independent investigation in addition to investigation by the city.
Animal Foundation CEO announces retirement amid intensifying pressure and criticism of shelter operations (8.5.21)
- Christine Robinson (who’s currently paid about a $250,000 salary) said that after 14 years of leadership, she’d be stepping down at the end of this year.
Frustration from some animal advocates over services at The Animal Foundation (6.30.21)
The Animal Foundation – Rating by Charity Navigator