Chewy, a leading E-commerce retailer of pet products, supplies and prescriptions recently ANNOUNCED a new partnership with pet insurance provider Trupanion, Inc (Trupanion insures more than 600,000 dogs and cats throughout the United States, Canada and Australia) to offer an exclusive suite of pet health insurance and wellness plans to more than 20 million Chewy customers. The insurance will be sold under the Chewy Health brand that includes wellness products beginning in Spring 2022 according to the INSURANCE JOURNAL.
Chewy will also use Trupanion’s software which enable claims to be paid directly to the animal hospital, thus reducing out-of-pocket expenses for pet owners and increases access to care.
According to the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA), there are more than 3.1 million dogs and cats insured in the United States in 2020 (representing less than 3% of all pets).
- PRESS RELEASE: Chewy Expands into Pet Insurance, Partners with Trupanion (12.7.21)
- Should You Buy Pet Insurance? (10.29.20)
- The largest pet insurance providers, which have about 84 percent of the pet insurance market in the U.S., are Nationwide, Trupanion, Petplan, and the ASPCA.
- Find the Best Pet Health Insurance:
- There are approximately 20 pet insurance providers in the United States. Approximately 83% of insured pets were dogs and 17% were cats in 2020.
Chewy Alleges Diverting Pet Prescription Sales in Lawsuit (10.24.21)