Workers employed at Veterinary Specialists & Emergency Services (VSES) in Rochester, New York recently voted in favor of representation by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM). Union officials stated that “it’s the first veterinary practice to unionize on the East Coast” according to News10NBC (WHEC-TV).
The National Labor Relations Board conducted the secret ballot election on Friday, January 14, 2022 and the vote was 65 to 28 to unionize. The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) is expected to certify the union vote within 10 days.
Union leaders stated that Thrive Pet Healthcare (the company’s controlling shareholder is private equity firm TSG Consumer Partners) has bought up most of the local animal hospitals.
According to IAM International President Robert Martinez Jr.:
“Today’s victory put the veterinary industry and private equity investors on notice about making sure their business model is based on equity and respect. We can’t afford to let this industry go the path of so many other industries destroyed by private equity investors. Now the hard work begins.”
VSES workers hope this move will set an example for veterinary workers all across the nation.
- Local Emergency Veterinary Clinic Removes Overnight Hours of Operation (1.13.22)
- VSES officials made the announcement to staff Wednesday and the new hours of operation are set to go into effect on January 17, 2022 (will be 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.). Clinic officials cite staff shortages and growing demand for service in the community as reasons for the change — eliminating the only option for overnight emergency service in the area.
- Workers at Veterinary Emergency Hospital in Rochester, NY Can Vote to Unionize, NLRB Official Says (12.21.21)
- The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) recently announced that it will conduct a mail ballot election among approximately 146 employees working at Veterinary Specialists and Emergency Services (VSES), located in Rochester, New York.
Thrive Pet Healthcare Locations within and around Rochester, New York:
In early 2021, Pathway Vet Alliance, LLC (company recently changed name to Thrive Pet Healthcare) acquired Monroe Veterinary Associates, which included Veterinary Specialists & Emergency Services (VSES), 15 smaller practice hospitals, a laboratory, a crematorium, and a rehabilitation facility.
- Canandaigua Veterinary Hospital: 4410 County Road 50, Canandaigua NY 14424
585-394-3340 | www.canandaiguavet.com
- Fairview Veterinary Hospital: 6735 Pittsford-Palmyra Rd, Fairport NY 14450
585-223-0940 | www.fairviewvet.com
- Forever Friends Pet Crematorium: 888 Turk Hill Rd, Fairport NY 14450
585-678-9204 | www.foreverfriendsrochester.com
- Lyons Veterinary Clinic: 1961 Rt. 14, Lyons NY 14489
315-510-4437 | www.lyonsveterinary.com
- Animal Junction Veterinary Clinic: 5380 Lincoln Rd, Ontario NY 14519
315-524-7133 | www.ajvetclinic.com
- Cats & Critters Veterinary Hospital: 32 Somerton St, Rochester NY 14607
585-442-4373 | www.catsandcritters.com
- Chili Animal Care: 3388 Chili Ave #5397, Rochester NY 14624
585-889-2300 | www.chilianimalcare.com
- Companion Animal Hospital: 2800 West Henrietta Road, Rochester NY 14623
585-442-4373 | www.companionvethosp.com
- Dermatology for Animals: 550 Center Place Dr, Rochester NY 14615
585-286-1050 | www.dermatologyforanimals.com
- Greece Animal Hospital: 3180 Latta Rd #800, Rochester NY 14612
585-227-7100 | www.greeceanimalhospital.com
- Irondequoit Animal Hospital: 2150 Hudson Avenue, Rochester NY 14617
-585-266-8020 | www.irondequoitanimalhospital.com
- Penfield Veterinary Hospital: 1672 Penfield Road, Rochester NY 14625
585-381-2441 | www.penfieldvet.com
- Pittsford Animal Hospital: 2816 Monroe Ave, Rochester NY 14618
-585-271-7700 | www.pittsfordvet.com
- ROC Pet Rehab: 580 White Spruce Blvd Suite 1, Rochester NY 14623
585-360-2288 | www.rocpetrehab.com
- Rochester Community Animal Clinic: 985 Bay Street, Rochester NY 14609
585-288-0600 | www.rochestercommunityanimalclinic.com
- Stone Ridge Veterinary Hospital: 550 Center Place Dr, Rochester NY 14615
585-227-4990 | www.stoneridgevethosp.com
- Suburban Animal Hospital: 2495 E Henrietta Rd, Rochester NY 14623
585-334-4230 | www.suburbanvet.com
- Veterinary Laboratory of Rochester: 825 White Spruce Boulevard, Rochester NY 14623
585-424-1295 | www.vetlabrochester.com
- Veterinary Specialists and Emergency Services: 825 White Spruce Blvd, Rochester NY 14623
-585-424-1277 | www.vsesrochester.com
- Perinton Veterinary Hospital: 11 LaSalle Parkway, Victor NY 14564
585-248-5566 | www.perintonvet.com
- Bayview Animal Hospital: 1217 Bay Rd # 1A, Webster, NY 14580
585-671-3120 | www.bayviewanimalhosp.com
View ALL Thrive Pet Healthcare locations including more than 400 veterinary practices nationwide in about 37 states.