UPDATED: SEPTEMBER 16, 2022
PetSmart which operates approximately 1,660 pet stores in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico has recently ANNOUNCED that it plans to sell veterinarians hospital space within the company’s retail stores under a franchise model.
The leading pet retailer currently has hospitals in about 700 stores, many of them are operated by Banfield Pet Hospital. The company plans to provide veterinary care in all store locations across the U.S.
PetSmart plans to open the first franchise locations under the name of PetSmart Veterinary Services (PVS) this year. All PVS hospitals will be required to maintain an American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) accreditation.
“Bork said PetSmart’s franchise model will help many veterinarians who want to own a practice and otherwise couldn’t because of the CONSOLIDATION within the industry.”
PetSmart Veterinary Services (PVS) To Open First Franchise Hospital Location In Arizona (9.15.22)
- According to the owner of the first PVS Hospital, “Since I began practicing veterinary medicine, I have seen the difference in the care provided to pets and the happiness and fulfillment of the veterinarians themselves when they are in control of their own business. This independent ownership model empowers doctors to continue to do what they love while supporting their own career and personal development. It is a win-win for veterinarians across the country.”
PRESS RELEASE: PetSmart Veterinary Services Puts Veterinarians in Charge of Owning Their Own Practice (6.6.22)
- “Individually owned veterinary medical practices have been shrinking at a record pace across the country. As the industry consolidates, many veterinarians have been out-priced and out-positioned in the market. PetSmart Veterinary Services (PVS) makes it possible for veterinarians to go independent and own their business, all at a fraction of the cost of starting a new practice on their own.”
PetSmart Veterinary Services (PVS)
- “Independent ownership model” that enables veterinarians to establish their own veterinary practice in minimal time for a fraction of the usual cost.
- JOIN AS AN EMPLOYEE: “Work under an owner-doctor and get the potential to earn a higher PRODUCTIVITY percentage compared to working for a hospital conglomerate,” according to company website as of 7.28.22.
Easyvet to open 2 new clinics inside select PetSmart Stores (2.2.22)
- Easyvet, walk-in veterinary hospital group, announced it will expand to the Florida market by opening clinics within PetSmart stores in Naples and Estero.